I am a gambling man, a betting man if you will. I will bet on literally anything as long as my bookies will take the bet, and I have a lot of bookies, so they take a lot of bets. I know my film though, so the debt I have built up since the most recent hits I took in a combination of Starcraft II betting, Atlantic City, and Professional Ice Fishing needs to go away and fast before I lose a(nother) body part. So it’s Oscar time baby, and I’m giving you my keys to success, so we can all be winners together!
Yesterday morning the Oscar nominees were announced, each and every category. Like most years there were surprises and disappointments, probably not as many as other years, but we are not here to talk about quality or these disappointments (not directly anyway, we’ll get there friends), we are here to make knee jerk predictions based on my knowledge of the system. As the time of the show comes closer I will do a follow up post in list only form, but I think the fun here is still in making educated guesses. You know what people love? People love nice lists we can check down, so here are some of the methods that result in my madness:
- The King’s Speech leads all nominees with 12 nominations
- Toy Story 3 is nominated for Best Animated Film and Best Picture
- True Grit is the surprise second leading nominee getter
- Christopher Nolan, Mila Kunis, and Andrew Garfield/The Social Network’s supporting cast seem to be the people snubbed
- The Town seems to be the film supplanted by Winter’s Bone
Checklist made. Films screened. Islands shuttered. All systems are go! Continue reading